2011年2月1日 星期二

Ford County by John Grisham


I like short stories. 


But not this one.  


 


I grabbed this book


during the final call for boarding a flight for a short vacation,


believing that a short story = a light-hearted read


and written by John Grisham = a page-turner. 


 


I was wrong.


 


Most of the stories in the book are sad:


lawyer abducted by family of adversary,


a single mother with her two prison-frequenter sons


visiting a third son to be executed,


an AIDS patient abandoned by family and


left to die in a small town full of discrimination…


 


And it lacks the surprising twists typically present


in the lawyer series of John Grisham.


So pick something else for your vacation!


2 則留言:

  1. if u like reading short stories, try "And thereby hangs a tale" by Jeffrey Archer and the short stories of Roald Dahl is also very good read!!!
    [版主回覆02/21/2011 21:55:00]Thanks for your recommendation!  I have stopped by CP and grabbed the one by Jeffrey Archer right away!  Actually I've read 'To cut a long story short' years ago.  Though I can no longer remember a thing about the stories, but I do recall that it was very enjoyable!

    回覆刪除